Friday, October 29, 2010

Doing, but not working…

I enjoy doing things; I am the type of person that likes to stay busy. That isn’t to say I don’t love my down time. The point is that a lot of times I do things because I enjoy the result of what I am doing. I clean up around my house because I can relax more if I don’t see a mess. I cook because I want to eat healthier than I can by eating out a lot. I exercise because I don’t like the way I feel when I am out of shape. I could go on and on, spiritually speaking I can even say I read or pray because I want to feel the fellowship I have with God.

However, is there ever a time where we are supposed to do something…for nothing?

That all depends, how are we looking at the situation?

Do we see the situation as worthless?

Do we see the situation as having worth, but not enough to trouble ourselves?

Do we see it as having value to further ourselves?

All these have selfish motives. All these focus us in on ourselves. Think of the impact this would have on a movement that is based on selflessness. If all of the employees or followers of this movement of selflessness slowly became selfish, what would happen to this movement?

A believer is called to, by the worlds standards, do something for nothing. Have we begun to look so much like the world though that we are letting this movement of Christ de-evolve into a pharisaic model of righteousness. If so, that would make the church of today look a lot less like the church of the Bible.

Do we see it as having value in furthering others?

Do we seek to see as Christ sees?

We are called to be doers of the word, not just hearers. Hearing (on our part) can be a beautiful thing, but if we do nothing with the message except sit in a circle and debate it with each other, what good does that do for those who need to hear and see? Selflessness seems to be becoming a lost art in the realm of Christ followers.

No comments: