Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Investments & Meetings

I am at the church & there is about 4-5 inches of snow on the ground.

I love snow.

I want to do a video lesson on snow so bad; it’s all churning around up there in the gray matter. I was here at the church for about 13 hours yesterday and you know what…that is about normal, I mean maybe not at the church but between my wife, mother-in-law, and I…it isn’t all that unusual to be running, non-stop for 13+ hours a day. I am talking no sitting, no nothing. To be honest I am ok with that…

IF…

I am spending time out meeting someone for counseling, meeting up with someone to work on our relationship, meeting up with students, studying for a sermon, studying for school, working on one of the houses, or spending time with family or ANYTHING of that nature. I am not very cool with meetings, and I am talking the drawn out meetings…not the constructive kinds. I remember when I worked at Target, I used to work the very early morning shift, and you know when they scheduled the mandatory meetings?

Weekends & evenings.

So why do we do meetings? I mean in theory they have a very good purpose, right? The problem is, well at least how I see it, is if the meeting is short, sweet & to the point…whoever is in charge is short and must be in a bad mood. If it goes long people complain too. So where is the happy medium? I tend to be on the short, sweet, & to the point side (although I have had meetings I am sure some would debate that point). Why am I an advocate of this?

Well

Mainly because, if I am running for 13 hours, how many of those hours are quality time? You know, talking to my wife? Reading as I should? Spending time in the quiet with God? Spending time with my wife on a date or just sitting & reading together?

As of right now, there isn’t a slowing…just not possible, but I see a light at the end of the tunnel, and you can bet I will appreciate those times so much more when they come around again. YES, I KNOW I WILL BE BUSY FOREVER (For all you people who like to poop on people’s parades), but when I have an investment (time)…I want to invest it as I should.

So says a simple man.

1 comment:

Brian Vinson said...

Meetings can be a good thing. When they're well-run. When there's a point. Other meetings, the "meeting for the sake of having a meeting" type - are a waste of time (at best).