Sunday, November 7, 2010

Male Driver Theology

Before the days of GPS, and there are still traces of this today, men would drive their cars on trips and to certain events without the guidance of a satellite. They went on maps, guts, and a little luck, looking for the address of the desired destination and knowing with the utmost confidence that they could get there. Inevitably there were times that the trip did not go according to the plan.

Many times the wife or child may ask, “Can we stop and ask for directions?” “No, I am sure we are close.” On it went, even to the point of jokes that have arisen for decades about how men don’t like asking for directions. Now we have the GPS to save our fragile egos, but in those days we were right. We would figure it out, we didn’t need outside help, and we can do this on our own. We become so blinded by the thought that we can figure this out (if for no other reason than the fact that other shave before us) that we don’t stop to see if we actually are right or completely off track.

Now, think about how we work out our relationship with God. Do we have everything figured out? Of course not, to say such a thing would mean I am arrogant and prideful. However, if we look at James 2, we see that our deeds must match up to the faith we claim. Having said this, what do our actions say about how we approach God? Do we take the male driver approach? Never stopping to ask for directions, but rather thinking I have this figured out, or I can figure this out on my own?

We are sent the Spirit of God to guide us, we are also given the Word, but how often do we consult them or use them as directions? Do we rather use the Word as something of a ritual that we go through every day (or so) to make us feel better, maybe make us feel less guilty, that we have done our duty for the day? Do we blindly press on to accomplish our daily deed without a true seeking of direction? Do we even consult the Spirit at all?

I have an image running through my mind as I think about this.

I imagine a man, chin straight in determination. Walking at a brisk walk, focused to get to the end of a hallway in which I cannot see the end. He moves forward with his upper body leaning forward in his utter resolve, arms swinging back and forth as he walks briskly to reach the destination of the end of the hall. He passes doorways, door after door after door. I see these doors as days, and inside these doors I see Christ. Christ stands there, door wide open, trying to get the attention of the determined man. The man walks by at such a rapid pace that he doesn’t even notice. At every door, Christ is standing there, waiting and wanting to talk to the man, but the man is too determined to get to an unknown destination that he misses His Savior to reach an unknown goal.

This man will never know the riches that he is passing up. He will never know the love, mercy, grace, hope, joy, peace, and endless gifts of God.

I fear that this is the majority of believers, abiding in the male driver theology, not stopping and asking daily for direction. This is a very broad presentation of the male driver theology (MDT) and I imagine I will bring it up again. I see it running rampant in Christianity today, and I believe the only cure is to seek the Spirit of God and not do things just because that is what I have been told I was supposed to do. I suggest, forget the preconceived notions, the ego, the pride…and stop…stop…stop…and seek for direction from the One who made the roads.

Peace to you.

No comments: